Disaster strikes and you are left to try and get by with what you have on hand in the house. If you are like most people, you will head to the kitchen, the garage, or even your bathroom to find things that will be useful while you are without power, without heat, and possibly low on food. The thing is, you should actually take a look at your craft supplies in an emergency situation. Chances are, there are some things in there that will prove to be incredibly useful at a time like this.
1. Crayons - You probably have at least a few crayons in your craft supplies, and it's a good thing. Crayons can actually be burned like candles to give you a little light and heat. Simply place a candle on a glass plate and light the paper on fire with a lighter.
2. Hot Glue Sticks - Even without the glue gun, the hot glue sticks can serve an array of purposes in an emergency situation. A few of the most noteworthy include:
- sealing off a leak in a container
- closing gaps around a door frame to keep water or gas out
- protecting cuts and scrapes in dirty water
3. Batteries - Batteries can of course be used to power flashlights and a radio, but they can also be used for other things. For example, with a battery and a foil gum wrapper or some steel wool, you can actually start a fire without using matches or a lighter.
4. Oil Paint - If you have oil-based paint or enamel paint in your craft kit, you have a perfect flammable material that can be used to start a fire. Just make sure if you use il paint to start a fire, you do so only in a well-ventilated area as this paint can emit toxic fumes when burned.
5. Yarn - Most serious crafters have a skein or two of yarn. Yarn can be used as dry tinder to start a fire, woven together to form a sturdy rope, wrapped in large loops to create a sling, and for many other things.
All in all, emergency supplies can be found in almost any room of the house and the craft room or area is one place you shouldn't forget. Take a look at your craft supplies and you may just find that there are all kinds of useful items there that can be put to good use in an emergency.Share